Monday, April 13, 2009

The World's 50 Most Powerful Blogs Unorganized!

Newsflash: The Guardian has finally noticed the blogosphere.

I fully support the recognition of powerful blogs and the bloggers behind them; actually, I think newspapers could learn a thing or two from us.

This was less of an article, and more of a long list. I am still unsure about whether the title of the article implies power over the public or the power of the public to accomplish things. The only explanation it gives as to its purpose is the introductory blurb.

In the article, 50 blogs are listed by the name of the blog, which includes everything from “Boing Boing” to “Gigazine,” in the numerical order of ‘power.’ Even bloggers, who aimlessly wander cyberspace looking for amusement and forums in which to express their opinion, do not have time to read each lengthy blog description.

The blogs are listed in blog posting format, however the title does not necessarily convey the subject of the blog. At least real blogs normally have outline on the far right column. This article would be far more helpful if it grouped the blogs based on topics such as entertainment, news, academia, sports, curios, etc…

The article can be found here:http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/mar/09/blogs.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you in that it was less of an article, and more of a long list. I salute The Guardian for finding all these POLAR extremes of blogging examples, but I'm very suspicious...I really can't see some of these blogs as "powerful" in any sense of the word. I'm sure it depends on the size of the audience the blog caters to. You mentioned that Boing Boing site--The Guardian praised that site up and down for all the wonderful things it supposedly has. I on the other hand, did not understand any of the "lol" innuendoes the website provided. I wasn't really giggling at the lego music videos or the awkward pictures. To each his own, I guess.

    Looking forward to your next post,
    M. McCreary

    ReplyDelete